Jo telephoned to query how long it is likely to take to process our application and we got told the following:

The landlord wasn’t expecting applications so soon as he didn’t expect the premises to be repainted so quickly. Since we’ve asked to move in on the 8th of September, which is “a fair delay,” the application must be referred to the landlord. The landlord is interstate and the application can’t be processed until he returns.

Now to me it looks like some of them are mutually exclusive, but I’m no real-estate agent, so I guess we have to wait. Surely if they weren’t expecting the premises to be ready until September, the fact that we want to move in then should be acceptable?