Wasting time as usual I spotted a reference to http://30daysofbiking.com/ and being a sucker for registering on yet-another site decided to give it a go … well five days a week is easy, that’s just commuting, the hard bit will be finding time, nay, making time, on the weekends and over the Easter break to go out for a ride..
- Day 1 of the challenge… 27km in the autumn sun. #30daysofbiking — 26.78km.
- Despite a real-estate agent induced headache I dragged myself out for a pleasant 33km on the bike. Day 2; #30daysofbiking — 33.78km.
- #30daysofbiking day 3 - morning outing to Packer park, 8km, but better than nowt — 8.71km.
- 4⁄30 done, 14km commuting in the gloom that is post-dst Melburn. #30daysofbiking — 14.73km.
- Second commute day of non-daylight-shavings, a still autumn evening, sunny, no wind, wonderful out on the bike. #30daysofbiking — 14.38km.
- Go west young man… just not at this time along that road. #squinty ride home tonight. #30daysofbiking — 15.15km.
- Gardiners Creek Trail – #30daysofbiking #typo http://instagr.am/p/C6DWN/ — 28.83km
- More brilliant autumn weather, a minor detour and a 14km commute turns into 61km of smiles. #30daysofbiking — 61.70km
- itty-bitty bike ride, 6km to childcare for parents’ working bee (then 6km home) #30daysofbiking — 12.90km
- Despite using tandem & roofrack to prune 3m branch while driving, rode 55km of MAD ride and organized transport home #30daysofbiking — 55km
- Despite legs of lead from oncoming cold and yesterday’s MAD ride, we rode. we always ride. we rode to work, we rode home. #30daysofbiking — 14.39km
- rides up behind someone at all of 10km/hr, rings bell, guy ignores me, ride past, guy yells “RING YOUR BELL OR SOMETHING!” #daydream #30daysofbiking — 5.16km
- Bronchitis and bedrest put paid to #30daysofbiking … maybe tomorrow, maybe next month
Commute — 14.36km
Commute — 14.33km
Commute — 14.43km
Lorne chores necessitated a quick run down the hill — 2.42km
Lorne to Wye river along the Great Ocean Road … and back — 36.36km
Old Beechy rail trail, Gellibrand to Barangarook then a visit to Otway Estate brewery for an ale, return via roads and rail trails — 40.94km
Timboon to Cobden on the Timboon rail trail, return via the roads — 45.75km
So how did it all go? Catching the plague was not in my plans, being laid up in bed for most of a week completely ruined my chances of making 30⁄30 so I gave up on making the extra effort for the harder days. The Easter break was always going to make it troublesome, especially going away on a driving holiday, but I’d thought I’d manage to squeeze a ride in here and there each day.
All up it was 19 of the 30 days, somewhere between 450 and 460km depending on what I recorded and when I remembered to switch on the bike computer. Probably ought to try harder next year.