@ Adrian Tritschler · Friday, Mar 12, 2010 · 1 minute read · Update at Mar 12, 2010 ·
I’ve lost track of the number of publishing systems that I’ve tried over the years; from hand-crafted — or is that crufted — HTML and PHP to various XML and docbook derivatives, silkpage, and currently an untidy mix of muse and pyblosxom. Today I stumbled on Jekyll and managed to quickly get it to do most of what I want — then with the addition of Raoul Felix’s Jekyll Extensions most of the rest of what was missing.
Is it changeover time?
Adrian Tritschler's stuff
My website, an agglomerative mess, probably half-eaten by a grue
Vanity site? Technology experiment? Learning tool? Blog? Journal? Diary? Photo album? I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you…
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Its all been here a fairly long time. Like the papers on my desk, or the books on the bedside table, the pile just grew… and it all grew without much plan or structure. I try not to break URLs, so historical oddities abound.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried PHP, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on Emacs Org mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is Org mode and hugo.