Its bad enough this ridiculous business of door-to-door sales-scammers, sorry, salesmen, coming around for whichever company wants to annoy you the most, insisting on seeing your bills for product X and trying to sign you up for some competitors' offer, presumably one that gives them a commission on every customer converted.
As promised, the gas man came. Surprise, surprise, its never as easy in practise as it looks on paper. We’d been verbally assured that no site inspection would be required and no extra costs would be incurred, there was no conceivable reason why the job wouldn’t cost what we’d been quoted…. Oh look, the standard installation includes 6m of gas pipe, we need an extra metre or so. The standard installation includes a flue that’ll reach from the heater into a 9' ceiling and we’ve got a 12' ceiling so we need an extra flue piece.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.