[2001-06-07 Thu] / Panorama from Glastonbury tor (2/5) / Glastonbury, UK I discovered during some re-reading of old posts – A simple task…. – that I’d manage to make typos for years, the APS photo roll 902-122 being mislabelled as 902-112 at times. I think I’ve fixed all the occurrences, and along the way moved away from having those photos as static images in the filesystem and into my openphoto installation.
Okay, I’ve collected the CD of my last two rolls of film, that’s the last of my 21 rolls of APS film completed, and not before time too! QFL have excelled themselves this time. No, not by missing a frame or some other stuff up like that, this time they’ve sent me back the CD, two empty APS cartridges, and the exposed film rolled up, squashed and loose in the envelope!
Another week and another three rolls of film completed. Even more amazingly, after two trips back to QFL, they’ve successfully rescanned all the photos — including the missing two — on the 379-986 roll from a fortnight ago. More date stamps, more titles, resizing and uploading and then #711-119, #855-129 and #902-122 will be here. Only two rolls left!
The end is in sight! Three rolls back on one CD, and the CD that I returned last week to be rescanned — I’ll get to that one in a minute. The 2000 Bike NSW Big Ride, a few weeks in Johannesburg, and the miscellaneous cruft that fills in the spaces in between. Once again, there’s date stamps and titles to be manually appended, then they’ll be available for perusal — #647-551, #374-343 and #700-204 — and then there’ll only be five rolls to go.
Over half-way complete in the APS-digitising project. Three more rolls completed, that’s thirteen rolls scanned and eight remaining. Annoying though, QFL ignored the request to scan the three films onto one CD, according to the chemist it is completely arbitrary whether they read any instructions at all! The hair on the scanner that I saw a week ago is still there, now that is bugging me. Captions and dates now needed for 201-383, 379-986 and 647-548.
More progress on digitising the APS films. Three more rolls of film done, ten done, eleven to go. Now for the laborious task of re-dating them, since the scanning process puts the scan date into the EXIF header, not the photo date that is present in the APS magnetic strip. Once I’ve added captions and the location information for the ones I’m fairly sure about, they’ll appear in my albums: [500-484], [931-348] and [931-369].
Finally; the last frame has been shot on my last roll of APS film, roll #866-142. I’m still not sure whether it was a good purchase or not, the camera was pricey, the APS film and developing doubly so! Fast talking by the salesmen in the shop convinced me to go with the APS rather than an only marginaly larger 35mm camera…. Twenty-one rolls of film in seven years, and I only worked out late in the process to pay extra and get the photos on CD at development time — I still haven’t got around to getting the rest of the rolls scanned from the negatives, mañana mañana….
Collected the photos from Kodak today, 40 images, $29 for processing and CD — no wonder I don’t use the APS film camera much anymore! A fascinating collection of pictures; though, spanning November 2001 to December 2003. It’ll definitely stretch the memory having to go through them all and annotate each one.
I checked out the photos that I picked up yesterday with a view to putting them here on the site. Well, there’s some good news and some bad news…. Good news is that most of them scanned OK; bad news is that instead of one roll of 25 and three rolls of 40 prints I’ve got one roll of 25, two copies of 39 of one roll, all 40 of the next, and only 36 of the last roll.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.