After a little more than a decade, the time has come to finally part with Mr Damage — for the last four years, maybe even five, I’ve done little more each year than just pay the registration and then get it running for a couple of days in the last weeks each January.
The bike owes me nothing, the costs in time and money of cleaning it up and advertising to sell it probably wouldn’t be worth anything like what the recompense would be.
The name? The previous owner had placed a large sticker across the fairing screen, it says “DAMAGE”, the name came up in conversation one day and it stuck.
Frame Number: RC17 2 01 6330
Engine Number: RC17E 2016460
TeamRC17 is an informal net-based owners group of the RC17s (Honda CBX750F/G/H), with a website at http://www.replicant.apana.org.au/~viking/ and email address of mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s a couple of photos of it sitting in front of my garage.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.