Sometime almost exactly a year ago we had the side fence between our house and the neigbour’s replaced. We’ve no idea how old it was but it had been getting more and more dilapidated and finally started to fall over. We got a couple of quotes, OK’d it with the neighbour, and a recommended fencing tradesman came with his assistant and replaced it.
They started work in the morning at around 7.
After around five years of procrastination, we now have a new fence. Almost entirely due to the more organised adult of the household, I suspect I’d have been tempted to let the old fence lean further and further over until it fell into the neighbour’s garden.
After a few false starts we finally managed to acquire the requisite number of quotes on fence replacement, got in touch with the managing agents for the neighbour’s house, got approval and got it all started.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.