Seems all is not lost. After last ’s stuff-up I was moving file systems from disk partitions into LVM partitions, and scrolling past I saw enormous lists of files in mail folders. Were these the “deleted” mail I thought I’d lost? Turns out they are. I’ve got an “old” cyrus mail folder structure and a “new” one, both under /var/spool/cyrus/mail, but only one of them is being referred to by the IMAP daemon.
Cyrus v2.1 IMAP is running, but I can’t locally deliver mail into it. Lost in a maze of RTFMs, the cyrus account can invoke cyrdeliver, but my own account cannot. Somewhere the permissions aren’t right.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.