Seems that Apple have actually noticed that the iTunes 7.0 update from a fortnight ago doesn’t work so well! Updates today to iTunes 7.0.1 and Last.fm 1.0.7. Now if only the damnable Quicktime installer wouldn’t insist on ignoring my preferences every bloody time the bloody thing is updated or installed and re-enabling the system tray icon!
I haven’t discovered yet whether it fixes the w-w-w-warbling and g-g-g-garbled music….
Another whirl of the software upgrade merry-go-round on the Windows laptop today: Firefox quietly downloaded and installed 188.8.131.52, but after restarting, the Google Browser Sync. plugin didn’t reload all my tabs so I lost something I was reading. iTunes asked and I consented, and so version six point something was replaced by 184.108.40.206, but then all my music started sounding all w-w-w-warbly and g-g-g-garbled. Plugins it is, the Last.fm/audioscrobbler plugin was at fault, so out it went and in came the newer Last.
A minor stupidity on my part and I plugged my iPod into the laptop while I’d mapped a network drive to the lowest available drive letter. The iPod started flashing its “Do not disconnect” message, iTunes started up and all looked normal… after a long time I had a look and saw that iTunes had decided that the iPod’s name was the volume name of the network drive, but still nothing was happening.
Woo-hoo, that was fast. Eight days after ordering, a shiny new iPod photo turned up this morning. Now comes the fun part — making it work with the PCs that I have. Laptop runs Windows XP, has a copy of all my photos, is almost running out of disk space, and only has a USB 1.1 connector. The desktop PC has a copy of all my photos, has heaps of disk space, has a USB 2 connector, but is running Linux.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.