Mattresses galore! Last night I thought there were only four — either the things have been breeding overnight, or there really were eleven mattresses dumped at the side of the road yesterday. There’s getting to be a lot of rubbish dumped in that area.
Amazingly, sometime during the day they’ve all been cleared away. Riding past in the rain this evening it was as though the mattresses had never existed….
I ache all over! As Marko said during part two of the War Against the Mattress, if we did this a couple more times we’d get really fit. As it is, two days of furniture and box moving, then unpacking and repacking bookcases, has left me feeling several hundred years old.
I would add a reference to the café where we had an excellent steak dinner last night, but for some reason I can’t even find them in the Telstra white pages, or in citysearch.
A bit like Christmas… now that the flat is full of boxes of things, we’ve had to spend the entire day unpacking them, sorting the contents out, then finding places to put it all!
Hopefull the final campaign in the War Against the Mattress has now taken place, with one bed taken apart and moved into the spare room, and the other bed being assembled and the evil mattress placed into its final resting place.
A day of lifting and lugging. With the aid of a few close friends Jo’s remaining boxes of belongings and pieces of furniture were stuffed into a car and a van and transported back to the flat.
The most exciting part of this was the great War Against the Mattress, a battle in at least three parts. As per some requirement known only to the mattress-makers guild of Australia, there were no handles on the mattress, so Marko and I manoeuvred the recalcitrant beast out of its upstairs lair and convinced it to wobble earthwards without getting caught on any of the picture hooks in the stairway.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.