For the last three days we’ve had mystery phone calls shortly after 6 pm, each day they hang up after I answer the phone — a sure sign of a call-centre, the auto-dialler has dialled, you’ve answered, but all of their operators are busy and nobody is free to piss you off. Until today…
All heavily accented, echo-ey and garbled, sounding typically like the Indian call-centres. Around 6.10 pm this evening:
Time to rearrange a few partitions on wyvern. Three hard disks — all nearly full! I thought I’d use the spare 6G on hda and try installing an extra OS… stupidly forgetting that lilo is writing to hda2. All was well until I restarted… Oops! Do you think I can find a rescue floppy anywhere around here…
dsk size hda 10G hdb 6G hdc 20G
A replacement for wyvern.
Its first incarnation was as a Shuttle PIV1, transferred in September 2011 to an i7 mini tower from BudgetPC.
Purchased with a 1TB system drive and 2TB extra drive it has now evolved to something with a 250G SSD boot disk and a zfs pool of 2x1TB and 2x2TB drives – although due to wiring problems that second set is 1x2TB until I get a round tuit.
This was my original PC-clone computer after I managed to put off getting on the IBM/x86 PC hardware treadmill for as long as possible. I ignored them all, from the 8088 and 8086, through the 286s and 386s up to the mighty 80486. I finally succumbed and wyvern’s first incarnation was a P100 — yes, a 100MHz Pentium. At some point in the late 1990s this was replaced by a PII system of the same name.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.