Further in my thinking of where I should host my photos and how I should display them, today I decided to look into embedding images from Google Photos. It doesn’t look to be easy by default, the “share” option lets you paste into G+, Facebook and Twitter, and the only other option is a URL that points to the image on Google Photos. Some brief searches and I found a facility – https://ctrlq.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.