Sunrise 6:33am (GMT), sunset 8:32pm (GMT) at Melbourne, VIC, AU (13:59 hours daylight) Critical Mass uptime: ws-cl-28-g09-a up 0 days, 00:47:27
Amazing! links actually works as a web browser, and can cope with the Monash authenticating proxy.
Good news. Ten weeks from Friday will be a pretty good day.
Too much documentation to get my head around. I’m printing out Volume 1 from the PDF file to bind it and put in a folder. Only problem is that various pages are now out of date, or new ones exist!
Found the drawterm binaries and successfully accessed CPU/Auth from my WinXP laptop!
Notes on how to use secstore on a terminal-only system (where auth server is unavailable). Put the following in $home/lib/profile:
auth/aescbc -d < factotum.aes | read -m > /mnt/factotum/ctl Assorted ideas for software to write or port:
Tool to aid HTML/SGML editing Tool to view EXIF JPEG data as a file system (see photocd tools) File systems for NTFS, EXT2, Coda?, Reiser? USB camera USB hard-drive (Zip? Floppy?) Python is available, investigate simple graphics programs to get a feel for the system
Succcess! CPU/Auth/KFS server is now operational.
typo in /rc/bin/cpurc, correct answer was to change for (in in m i S t) to for (i in m i S t) Corrected /lib/ndb/common to include an authdom and now can add new users. TODO: Build a new terminal to use the CPU/Auth server I guess… or get the T21’s network card working.
Digging into the T21’s ethernet adapter, Windows XP identifies it as:
First major attempt to rebuild niflheim as a stand-alone plan9 CPU/Auth/KFS machine; with partial success. Stepping through the instructions in the Wiki:
Secstore key: blahbah authid: bootes password: blahblah auth. domain: ajft.org
Slowly stepping onwards — niflheim is now running at 1280x1024x8 by changing /n/9fat/plan9.ini to include:
monitor=multisync vgasize=1280x1024x8 None of the 1600x1200 monitors available in /lib/vgadb work with the Hewlett Packard HP91 that I’ve got, so for now 1280x1024 is the best I can do. They all nearly work, but with terrible refresh rates or poor use of the screen…
(cm751, cm801u, mf8221e, pro502, 445x, p815, a901h) Under WinXP, the HP91 runs at 1600x1200 at frequencies 93.
A little more success with plan9 — I’ve got it running on the two machines I can get my hands on, but not very successfully yet:
IBM Thinkpad T21 (helheim): Nothing I do can make the inbuilt ethernet card work. Identified as a 3com mini-PCI card, none of the drivers I’ve tried will work, and they all hang as they try to load. IBM P300GL (niflheim): A variant of the S3 Trio3D video is built into the motherboard – I remember problems in getting XFree86 to work for a while.
Something must have re-sparked my interest in Plan9, so I downloaded and installed it on the spare 4G partition on niflheim. Unfortunately I discovered that once it was installed it had somehow clobbered the boot record so Windows XP now won’t boot.
[http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/]: Plan9 [http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/]: Inferno [http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo]: homepage [http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18/]: plan9 stuff from a weird mob
There’s not much to say about an IBM laptop — even one that’s made by IBM. Black, portable, provided by work at no cost to myself, it gets the job done.
A Pentium III, 256M of RAM, 10G of disk. I think there are two dud pixels on the LCD, glowing like little red eyes from the black background. There also seems to be a CMOS problem, since most of the time after I turn it off, when it comes back on again I have to reset the time and date.
Sometime back around 1992 I discovered the plan9 operating system and was fascinated, but never managed to get a reliably running system going.
An ugly left-over kind of a page, the only reason it’s still here is so that old URLs don’t break. Just look for anything scattered through the site tagged plan9, but don’t expect too much, just me tinkering at times.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.