Bushfires are raging across Victoria and the forecast for the weekend is two days of high thirty temperatures and strong winds. Woke this morning to stiffling heat, thick smoke filling the air and a dull orange sun shining down. Visibility is down to a couple of kilometres and there’s no incentive to go outside and do anything at all. This is in the city, 150km from the fires, it must be terrible out there fighting them.
After yesterday’s fiasco, getting to South Melbourne today should be easy… I know where to turn into Inkerman street & I know where the building is!
Somewhere down towards St Kilda the bike didn’t feel quite right, then I realised that the front tyre was going soft — all that bloody glass I swore at yesterday. I made it through St Kilda to Middle Park, then stopped at Penny Farthing cycles to buy a new inner tube — I suspect that the spare I’m carrying has a slow leak.
A sliver of glass in my new — ten-day old — rear tyre got the day off to a bad start. Rain and punctures, punctures and rain. I thought I could pump it up enough to ride up the road to the shop, but managed to tear the valve off the tube in the process. Walk the bike up to the Trek shop on Bridge road to grab some tubes — with no spare I’ve been riding on borrowed time.
I guess I blame it all on the rain… Riding in the rain always results in more punctures than riding in the dry, the water lifts up and moves around all the little bits of wire, glass and rock — today was no exception. Two thirds of the way to work, running late, down goes the back tyre. It’s always the back tyre when you’re in a hurry. Off with the wheel, spin it to check for glass — Ouch!
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.