After a little more than a decade, the time has come to finally part with Mr Damage — for the last four years, maybe even five, I’ve done little more each year than just pay the registration and then get it running for a couple of days in the last weeks each January.
The bike owes me nothing, the costs in time and money of cleaning it up and advertising to sell it probably wouldn’t be worth anything like what the recompense would be.
Determined to keep Mr Damage running by riding it at least once a fortnight, and hopefully once a week, I rode to work yesterday. Tried to leave only to discover that the ignition switch had no effect. No amount of swearing or checking fuses would get power to the bike. Today I brought in the multimeter, spanners and screwdrivers and an optimistic attitude. Viking provided a few handy pointers on where RC17 electricals are likely to go wrong.
A couple of days work and a couple of hundred dollars, it sure beats an infinite delay and me not getting around to doing it myself! Picked up Mr Damage this morning with a new choke cable, a general service, and an operational second headlight (for the first time in its life). It is running far better than when I dropped it off!
Now all I need to do is pay the registration — $488 — and then consider more money for new tyres, and fix the dangly indicators, and maybe get the seat recovered, and then there’s always more…
Will I or won’t I? The registration papers for Mr Damage arrived in the mail a week or two ago and I realised that I haven’t ridden it at all this year. So its either get rid of it in an unregistered and poor-running state, or make it go again and make myself ride. First step is a new battery, the slow death of the old one being one of the leading causes of me stopping riding.
Down alongside the house wasn’t really a good place for the motorbike, too hard to get at, too much work to extract it out onto the street. As a result it had sat half-under the eaves for two and half months collecting rain and dust and losing battery magic. Last night I shuffled it back down the narrow path and out onto the front porch, jump-started it, blew an almighty great cloud of black smoke, and charged the battery…
Success, success! Mr Damage is running again. I have bled my clutch and I am not bleeding from the knuckles — unlike some of my many other attempts at performing feats of motorised mechanics. After belting it with a bloody big lump of metal, the recalcitrant screw in the clutch-fluid reservoir could be undone, and then everything was by-the-book. New fluid in, assorted squeezings, bubbles and squirts everywhere, old fluid out, and finally a clutch that clutches — as it’s supposed to.
The name? The previous owner had placed a large sticker across the fairing screen, it says “DAMAGE”, the name came up in conversation one day and it stuck.
Frame Number: RC17 2 01 6330
Engine Number: RC17E 2016460
TeamRC17 is an informal net-based owners group of the RC17s (Honda CBX750F/G/H), with a website at http://www.replicant.apana.org.au/~viking/ and email address of mailto:email@example.com.
Here’s a couple of photos of it sitting in front of my garage.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.