Before Starting to remove the carpet After The wonders of a new coat of paint We’re getting there! Slowly, every so scarily slowly, the front room is progressing from a disaster zone to a bedroom.
The floor is in, the skirting boards replaced or reattached, the timberwork has all been primed, now the walls have been painted. Carpets and curtains and painting the trim remain… and the deadline gets closer.
OK, now that we’ve actually got the ladder into the attic we can start to use it! I’m not sure what I expected, maybe thought the installation would all be over by lunchtime yesterday and we would simply put all the stuff from the front room up into the roof space….
Looking around inside the roof of the 106 year-old half of the house revealed some interesting features. The ceiling of the front room — the room we never use — was covered by very thin insulation bats, but the bedroom and lounge — the two rooms that we do use — had no insulation!
We’ve finally got the attic ladder in place, but not without its fair share of trauma, worry, and general tradesman-inspired angst. The carpenter was initially to come on Thursday, a destroyed wheel-bearing put paid to that appointment. Early Saturday morning, nine to nine-thirty, was the new time. Only a five minutes late, Mat turned up as we finished breakfast, verified that we really did want the ladder where we’d said we wanted it — apparently he’d once installed one where the customer had said, only to be told later by the customer’s wife that that was not where it was wanted, and it should be in another room — then got to work.
Last night an hour or two spent clearing enough space in the front room for the ladder to be installed, today I’d arranged to work from home for a few hours, from 9 o’clock until whenever the installation was completed.
Good news or bad news? Good news is that the front room is now as clean as it was last night when we finished tidying up. Second bit of good news is that I got in to work well before lunchtime….
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.