Continued from part #1.
After a little searching online I decided to have another look at the internals of my rear shifter — albeit a 1996 Shimano XT unit, so I’ve had a decent thirteen year’s use out of it! Undid the three chassis screws, disconnected it from the cable, and brought it inside where I can safely drop tiny pieces on the kitchen table and not lose them in the shed or the garden.
A long chunk of ceiling cornice was hanging down about a metre when I got home this afternoon – a 3m length in the loungeroom that has had a slow growing crack for months. Wrote out a repair sheet and added – again – the outside gate and leaky bathroom, and mentioned the broken hallway lights – the timeclock is stuffed and the upstairs bulbs haven’t worked for a month. I tried to hand deliver it to Kay and Burton thinking they were open till 6 pm, found they were already closed and slid it under the door around 5 pm.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.