During some browsing around this partially migrated mess that is my website I’ve discovered that entries from June and July 2007 seem to have vanished. Did I do that? If so, how did I do that and when did I do that?
Where did they go, and can I get them back?
Time to bite the bullet, out with the old looking site and in with the new. Not just the look either, the mess of pages generated in myriad different ways had been annoying me, it was all just too unmaintainable.
Page the first… now to back-fill with the rest.
If there’s anything in particular that someone is looking for, it should return shortly. If you’re in a real hurry, let me know which page you’re missing and I’ll transmogrify it into the new system.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.