Something that’s been bugging me for a while as I deal with ridiculously large amounts of disk space:
Assuming a 2M capacity of an unformatted “1.44M” 3.5” disk which has physical dimensions of 3x90x94mm; 1T of data is a stack 1572m long, or 13.3 cubic metres of disks, or if used as floor tiles, enough to cover 4435 square metres.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.