Seems that Apple have actually noticed that the iTunes 7.0 update from a fortnight ago doesn’t work so well! Updates today to iTunes 7.0.1 and Last.fm 1.0.7. Now if only the damnable Quicktime installer wouldn’t insist on ignoring my preferences every bloody time the bloody thing is updated or installed and re-enabling the system tray icon!
I haven’t discovered yet whether it fixes the w-w-w-warbling and g-g-g-garbled music….
Another whirl of the software upgrade merry-go-round on the Windows laptop today: Firefox quietly downloaded and installed 22.214.171.124, but after restarting, the Google Browser Sync. plugin didn’t reload all my tabs so I lost something I was reading. iTunes asked and I consented, and so version six point something was replaced by 126.96.36.199, but then all my music started sounding all w-w-w-warbly and g-g-g-garbled. Plugins it is, the Last.fm/audioscrobbler plugin was at fault, so out it went and in came the newer Last.
After only a week, another update from Garmin for the Edge305, Software Version: 2.70 and GPS: 2.60, up from 2.60 and 2.40 respectively. Fingers crossed, but I haven’t had the device hang or flatten the battery overnight since the last upgrade….
Musing on the methods of software updates under Windows. Seems that the assorted linuxes are well ahead here; Debian’s apt-get upgrade, SuSE’s rug update, not just the operating system but application packages too.
Windows has Windows Update, but every other application has its own mechanism — perhaps. Monitor the mailing lists, read the web page, click “check for update” in the application….
Today’s updates were for the Edge 305, GPS firmware update to 2.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.