Two technically competent adults, one two week old VCR, one multi-language user-friendly manual. Three hours of wasted time, frazzled nerves, cursing, swearing, configuring and reconfiguring and we finally have the ability to record TV and play the recorded tapes. Somewhere along the way the first time we managed to convince the VCR to realign its heads so that nothing was playable!
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.