Adrian Tritschler's stuff
My website, an agglomerative mess, probably half-eaten by a gru
Rather than use vpnc to connect to the Monash VPN, I’ve been wanting for some time to use ssh tunnels.
Seems I’d installed the
lokkit firewall a few weeks ago. At the time I thought I’d tested it step-by-step as I implemented it, but it appears that all it was doing was writing the rules, not running them! Firewall rules took effect when I rebooted, and where blocking the vpn protocol.
Over and over during the weekend,
vpnc would either connect and then seem to hang up a little later, or wouldn’t connect. No log messages in either case, which was very irritating. Is it due to my upgrade to Ubuntu Dapper, or is it something at the server end?
There’s not much more I can add to who I am.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Its all been here a fairly long time. Like the papers on my desk, or the books on the bedside table, the pile just grew… and it all grew without much plan or structure. I try not to break URLs, so historical oddities abound.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried PHP, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on Emacs Org mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is Org mode and hugo.