Hardly a finish! More like a bit of a start. Some jiggery-pokery and I’ve got an XSL style sheet that generates passable pages for my most recent photos. The business of having them all in folders that represented individual films worked OK for the scanned APS films, but got a bit cumbersome with the digital images. It was also getting to be ridiculous maintaining parallel folder structures for photos and for everything else.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.