Another day and another handful of my old CDs make their way onto my iPod. Something has got to give soon with the Australian copyright law and fair use of personal copies… Along the way I’ve corrected the typos that I notice, like the Voilent Femmes. Quality control on the song dates is pretty haphazard too. Then I got to wondering, should I relabel individual artists from Nick Barker to Barker, Nick?
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.