Something someone said somewhere prompted me to think for a few minutes and come up with a list of the memorable bits of technological hardware I’ve owned. I’m sure there’s something in there that I’ve missed, but here’s what I can remember:
Tandy CoCo Amiga 1000 TI99/4a Amiga 4000 Pentium P100 Palm Pilot III Pentium II/III Pentium IV i7 PC ASUS transformer
It went clack, clack, clack, clack, CLACK. Then it stopped.
Part way through a very ordinary ubuntu package upgrade the hard disk in fafnir made an horrendous sound and the PC froze. It wouldn’t respond to a soft restart, it wouldn’t respond to a hard reset, it wouldn’t even come back up after powering off and on. The hard disk has had it. A single consumer-grade IDE disk running almost continually in a desktop machine since about June 2004, what can I say, it was bound to fail eventually.
Purchased from Computers and Parts Land ABN 72088991646
component price ($AUD) Shuttle SB75G2 515.00 P4 3.0E Prescott 337.00 200Gig WD 8meg IDE 199.00 512M PC3200 Kingston DDR 155.00 LG 4082B DVD-RW 163.00 128M MSI Fx5200 TD 105.00 total 1474.00 The Kingston RAM somehow turned into no-name Chinese RAM, and the staff apparently haven’t heard of anti-static precautions, just tossing bare DIMMs around in their hands – I’d been warned that CPL were a bit dodgy, but missed checking the RAM as the guy in the shop “read out” Kingston from it when he put it in the bag!
Time to rearrange a few partitions on wyvern. Three hard disks — all nearly full! I thought I’d use the spare 6G on hda and try installing an extra OS… stupidly forgetting that lilo is writing to hda2. All was well until I restarted… Oops! Do you think I can find a rescue floppy anywhere around here…
dsk size hda 10G hdb 6G hdc 20G
So wyvern is operational again. After spending far too long getting eye strain from reading the 5pt printing in the green guide of today’s newspaper, I discovered that the computer shop on campus has power supplies for much the same price — $60 and a ten minute at lunch time was much easier than running half-way around town to save a whole ten dollars! I did end up with a supply that can support a P4, should I get around to upgrading the box — and the Abit IT7-RAID motherboard is looking kinda nice….
I removed wyvern’s power-supply this morning and had a look inside — no wonder it isn’t working too well — the circuit board is blackened and warped, and it looks as though half the components have been cooked. Definitely time for a new one!
Finally got around to putting the replacement fan into wyvern’s power supply. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work, so maybe the temperature sensor has burnt out. At least, after putting the new fan in and connecting it up, it didn’t come on at all for the rest of the day.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.