After spending a fascinating afternoon with IPv6 and Novell OES2 and a myriad of manuals, technical notes and endless searches through forums I thought it time to try and separate the reality from the promise and write up what I found out about IPv6.
Starting with two IPv6-enabled workstations; one running Ubuntu linux (32bit, 10.04) and the other Windows XPsp3 with the Microsoft IPv6 protocol enabled, how far can I get?
Five o’clock in the evening, just about to leave and there’s a phone call; ITS-CAUL1 has stopped responding on one of its interfaces and the switch is reporting more errors on that port than for most other ports at the Uni. A little digging by myself and Biggles and mysteriously it appears that the switch has been changed from 100M full duplex to autoconfigure, which never does.
For some reason I’d put my work log in my private website, I’ve removed it now. If you really want to know what I was doing in Monash’s South Africa campus, just ask. All it said was that getting some servers working in Johannesburg was a frustrating and slow experience.
Not an entirely successful day. Since both NetWare 5.1 CDs are not bootable I’ve had to boot the machines from floppy disks, format the hard drives from Novell DOS, then add the IDE CD driver and attempt to install from the CD as D: drive. Unfortunately there seems to be an incompatibility between something in the hardware and the NetWare installation, and it is hanging at or before the hardware detection.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.