[2001-06-07 Thu] / Panorama from Glastonbury tor (2/5) / Glastonbury, UK I discovered during some re-reading of old posts – A simple task…. – that I’d manage to make typos for years, the APS photo roll 902-122 being mislabelled as 902-112 at times. I think I’ve fixed all the occurrences, and along the way moved away from having those photos as static images in the filesystem and into my openphoto installation.
On again, off again. My interest in OpenPhoto, which morphed into trovebox1 and then seems to have petered out due to lack of interest a couple of years ago. Amusing in a way, given that the entire project came into being due to concern that commercial photo hosting sites, eg flickr, can be ephemeral, and that hosting your photos on one loses some aspects of ownership. So a few years of enthusiasm in building an opensource replacement came and went and at the end of it, the majority of the commerical “free” photo hosting sites are still around.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.