I’ve lost track of the number of publishing systems that I’ve tried over the years; from hand-crafted — or is that crufted — HTML and PHP to various XML and docbook derivatives, silkpage, and currently an untidy mix of muse and pyblosxom. Today I stumbled on Jekyll and managed to quickly get it to do most of what I want — then with the addition of Raoul Felix’s Jekyll Extensions most of the rest of what was missing.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.