OK, here we go. Time to finally get on with it and change our home over from our ADSL to the NBN. Our ISP has been pestering me on and off for months and I was just about to start the process when we all went home and worked from home due to COVID-19. Loathe to have something go wrong with a working setup I put it on hold for the past two months…
There it was sitting in the to-do list, “relocate phone” and “relocate ADSL.” Two remarkably simple items in the list, it shouldn’t be a problem I thought … stupidly … since apparently anything to do with phones or broadband anywhere in the world is always a problem, and Australia is no exception.
The phone service is with Telstra, the broadband with Internode. Getting the phone relocated shouldn’t be so hard so I thought I’d try the ADSL first.
The gravy train has pulled in to the station, employer funded broadband will end, financial tightness has them by the goolies. Everyone was very polite about it, but still I was given two and a bit months to find a new ISP. The good news is that it gives me an incentive to finally be rid of BigPond, Australia’s least favourite ISP — or maybe its just the devil you know, you only ever hear bad things about the one you’re with.
Aarg! On Tuesday I rang them up and was promised a return phone call within an hour or two, on Wednesday I lodged the same enquiry via email and was promised a response within 24 hours, then today, 48hours later I get an email telling me stuff all, and that I should call them on the phone!
Four paragraphs of advertising for their incredibly expensive 3G wireless network service and then:
The Telstra BigPond package turned up at home this morning, it contains one “insert and run” Microsoft Windows CD and one PCMCIA wireless card as well as the ADSL modem and Ethernet cable.
I had carefully told the nice man with the almost unintelligible Indian accent that I needed the wireless card for a DESKTOP PC and that both PCs ran Linux and not Windows. So I’ve been given a CD I can’t run and a wireless card I can’t plug in!
This is the ADSL modem and four-port ethernet switch supplied by Telstra when I signed up with BigPond. Once I worked out that if it sat flat on the desk it would overheat, but stood on its side it stayed cool, it was rock solid.
Amazingly, it ran for four years with a Telstra ADSL1 connection, from [2006-04-28 Fri] to [2010-02-07 Sun], then seamlessly worked with ADSL2 when I churned across to Internode.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.