I’ve found a way to convert the mysterious Microsoft-only TIFF files into JPEGs. Squirrelled away on the PC that does the scanning in our student labs is some HP scanning software that allows you to convert from one format to another, pity that the universally usable one isn’t the default! The first four are from September last year, I know that two were picked up on September 8, I guess the other two were earlier when I was in Switzerland!
Its all harder than it should be! I can’t get my camera to talk to my Linux PC, only to the Windows XP laptop. When I switch on the camera, the Windows software very helpfully pops up a dialog box behind everything else, unless I hit return very quickly, the main window pops up and hides the dialog, then nothing works until I kill off the program with CTL-ALT-DEL and try again!
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.