Okay, I’ve collected the CD of my last two rolls of film, that’s the last of my 21 rolls of APS film completed, and not before time too! QFL have excelled themselves this time. No, not by missing a frame or some other stuff up like that, this time they’ve sent me back the CD, two empty APS cartridges, and the exposed film rolled up, squashed and loose in the envelope!
Another week and another three rolls of film completed. Even more amazingly, after two trips back to QFL, they’ve successfully rescanned all the photos — including the missing two — on the 379-986 roll from a fortnight ago. More date stamps, more titles, resizing and uploading and then #711-119, #855-129 and #902-122 will be here. Only two rolls left!
The end is in sight! Three rolls back on one CD, and the CD that I returned last week to be rescanned — I’ll get to that one in a minute. The 2000 Bike NSW Big Ride, a few weeks in Johannesburg, and the miscellaneous cruft that fills in the spaces in between. Once again, there’s date stamps and titles to be manually appended, then they’ll be available for perusal — #647-551, #374-343 and #700-204 — and then there’ll only be five rolls to go.
Over half-way complete in the APS-digitising project. Three more rolls completed, that’s thirteen rolls scanned and eight remaining. Annoying though, QFL ignored the request to scan the three films onto one CD, according to the chemist it is completely arbitrary whether they read any instructions at all! The hair on the scanner that I saw a week ago is still there, now that is bugging me. Captions and dates now needed for 201-383, 379-986 and 647-548.
Good news or the bad news? Good news is that I’ve got my photos back from Kodak, although the prints don’t seem to be the same quality as I’d expect, and the CD seems to come from a third party… Are they subcontracting out their work? Is digital photography biting them that hard? Bad news seems to be that all the time and date information that the APS camera records on each frame has been omitted from the prints and the scans.
I’ve found a way to convert the mysterious Microsoft-only TIFF files into JPEGs. Squirrelled away on the PC that does the scanning in our student labs is some HP scanning software that allows you to convert from one format to another, pity that the universally usable one isn’t the default! The first four are from September last year, I know that two were picked up on September 8, I guess the other two were earlier when I was in Switzerland!
Its all harder than it should be! I can’t get my camera to talk to my Linux PC, only to the Windows XP laptop. When I switch on the camera, the Windows software very helpfully pops up a dialog box behind everything else, unless I hit return very quickly, the main window pops up and hides the dialog, then nothing works until I kill off the program with CTL-ALT-DEL and try again!
Collected the photos from Kodak today, 40 images, $29 for processing and CD — no wonder I don’t use the APS film camera much anymore! A fascinating collection of pictures; though, spanning November 2001 to December 2003. It’ll definitely stretch the memory having to go through them all and annotate each one.
I checked out the photos that I picked up yesterday with a view to putting them here on the site. Well, there’s some good news and some bad news…. Good news is that most of them scanned OK; bad news is that instead of one roll of 25 and three rolls of 40 prints I’ve got one roll of 25, two copies of 39 of one roll, all 40 of the next, and only 36 of the last roll.
Picked up my latest photos at lunch time, forgetting my reciept and sweet-talking them out of the staff. For once I remembered to order a CD and it seems that the extra cost is well worth the effort. I must get around to getting all my other films scanned onto CD professionally. The first few of our daywalks in Magaliesburg look pretty good to me!
Riding home at dusk as it started to rain it was hard to believe it’s late autumn, the air was warm, it smelt like thunder, the rain felt like hail.
I experiment. I play. I write and I take pictures. Some of the site is organised around topics, other parts are organized by date, then there’s always the cross-references between them.
Long ago it started as a learning experiment with a few static HTML pages, then I added a bit of server-side includes and some very ugly PHP. A hand-built journal/blog on top of that PHP, then a few experiments in moving to various static publishing systems. I’ve never wanted a database-based blogging engine, so over the years I’ve tried php, nanoblogger, emacs-muse, silkpage and docbook before settling on emacs org-mode for writing and jekyll for publishing. But the itch remained… I never really liked jekyll and the ruby underneath always seemed so much black magic. So now the latest incarnation is org-mode and hugo.